Thursday, November 7, 2013

What the Hail?

And here we are, blog entry #3. today I will be talking about how ads target me, the white middle class male student. there are a couple out there that do speak to me more than other ads, but I think the ad that returns to memory the most is the ad from Molson Canadian titled 'Beer Fridge'. You've probably seen it, a busy street corner somewhere in Europe, and a big red fridge is conspicuously in the middle of the plaza. The native population gathers and then they notice the only way to open it is a Canadian passport. then a Canadian steps up (we don't get a good look at him) and opens the fridge and all the Europeans get to drink Canadian beer and they all live happily ever after or whatever.

This speaks to me because most beer commercials are targeted at the young adult, but this particular one is aimed at the backpacker, being set in a unnamed european town where a tourist or backpacker (because he carries his passport with him) fulfills the role of helpful Canadian and 'saves the day'. This successfully hailed me as a helpful Canadian by willing me to accept, then recognize myself as one, then internalize these values as my own (O'Shaunnesey, & Stadler, 2012).

And of course these ads are only tailored to the Canadian, and not the beer drinker in general because the solution or hero is a Canadian and not just any passport. so this relates to my national identity of the Canadian; using the mode of address to interpellate the national ideologies (O'Shaunnesey, & Stadler, 2012) of being Canadian and fortifying the cultural identity that we travel far and wide helping those in need (in this case thirsty people).

Now I am not a huge fan of Molson Beers, but I am a fan of being Canadian. And that is exactly what made this ad successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment